View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #47
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
Mustangs seems to be having lots of issues...tranny discussion below, and major issues with their #8 cylinder on other news notes. Two guys I work with are having these shifting problems, and they also are taking all engine reprogram mods off, in case they come across engine issues and they want to be sure Ford warranty covers it.

DETROIT (AP) -- Safety investigators are looking into possible transmission problems in some 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang models.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defects says on its website Sunday that it has received 32 complaints about an unexpected inability to shift into gear on Mustangs with manual transmissions.
Some reports allege the problem occurred while merging into high-speed traffic. The preliminary investigation involves 26,000 vehicles.
32 complaints out of the entire Gettag population is somewhat of a small issue. The report is incorrect in the amount of vehicles that were equipped with the MT82. The V6 also uses the MT82 along with the Ford Transit. The number of MT82 Mustangs would be closer to 80,000/90,000. I believe the problem is that people do not know the transmissions have skip shift. If I was unaware that such a thing existed, I would wonder why the vehicle wasn't shifting. You will never hear the results of the investigation, after they discover it was driver error brought on by a fuel saving feature. This is why I bought my car when I did... In fear of technology that malfunctions or actually impedes regular operation. Such as electric power steering, magnetic ride control, electronic launch control, traction control and anti-lock brakes. These are intended to make a bad driver better but nothing can simulate great driving better than a great driver. A recent C&D report shows that electric launch control is one to two tenths slower than an experienced driver in the same vehicle (and multiple cars were tested). I'm glad I got mine before the mandatory back up camera or mandatory HUD. Pretty soon manual transmissions will be deemed a safety hazard and a driver distraction.... That's what the NHTSA will take away from this investigation.... that manuals are dangerous in general..
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote