View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Airforceone

Drives: 2012 LS Nytrex Nitrous
From Minivan to Camaro New Member in AL

Hello everyone I am a new member in Mobile Alabama. I made my account to camaro 5 a little bit ago and looked around at other forums looking for the best one.

That was before I realized this is the best one!

Im super excited to join your community and gain as much knowledge as I can from all of you; which hopefully translates to a faster better equipped camaro in my garage.

I drive a bone stock 2012 LS Camaro thats silver with black steel rims, manual of course. By the time I graduate college and I am commissioned into the Air Force in 2 and a half years I want to have the perfect officer car.

My name is Sam and I am a 20 year old sophomore at a college in Southern Alabama. I am technically an E-2 in the Air Force Reserves and completing ROTC in a couple years. I am extremely blessed and humbled since the Air Force is paying for my entire education. (saving my college money for something else

So less than a year ago I was driving cross country from Michigan to Alabama in my 2001 Honda Odyssey. With the cruise control on and my aftermarket stereo helping me forget how long of a drive I had in front of me I was throwing the miles behind me. Then out of no where my tachometer starts to fly up and red line, yet my minivan was slowing down. Like many of you most likely guessed the transmission had totally given up on me. Eventually I got the van towed back home and found out for a shop to fix it and the lines it would be 3-4 thousand dollars. So one of those car vulture organizations came and gave me 500 bucks for it and towed it away.

So with a need for a car, no car, 20k in the bank I knew what I needed! I wanted that car I first saw at the Detroit Auto Show that was the star of the show a 5th gen Camaro.

When shopping the 3 cars I were looking at were a 2012 camaro (V6, Manual), a hyundai Elantra, and a scion xb. I didn't want a mustang since most the people I know that own them and really like them can be a little annoying... and I didn't want to join their group and be like them. So I chose the camaro and never regretted that decision ever since.

So now I have my camaro but I have an issue; I want it to be fast and cool but at the same time play cat and mouse with my warranties. The trick is postpone the major engine mods and stuff until the warranty is closer to expiring or I graduate and will make enough to pay for fixes (in 2 years). So i am thinking a CAI and tires are a good place to start. Then maybe a tune but I don't know if that will void my warranty. Interior stuff is pretty much anything fair game.

Once I start doing stuff I will post a full thread of everything I did and how I did it. (there will be a lot of questions and purchases until I get to that point though)

So hello again, I will try to be a useful and good member of your community. Can't wait for all your insight that will help me build up my car.
Airforceone is offline   Reply With Quote