View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1222 View Post
Sounds like a question for your schools guidance counselor
First, congratulations

Yeah, for instance, where I'm at we have majors, minors, and in the business school specializations(which frankly I think is basically a minor and I think the business school just tried to church it up a little). I have to have at least two majors or one major and at least one specialization. I could add as many majors and specializations as I want if I want to stick around and pay and take all of the extra classes.

So I'd call and get a meeting with an adviser, although see if you can get to someone important. Example, when I was at the community college in Birmingham, Al, I met with the "adviser" and told her I wanted to take business classes. She handed me a book with all of the classes in it and said the info was in there rather than working with me to plan a schedule. Later on I found out on my own that a particular professor that taught business classes also did business student specific advising. Once I met with him I had all the answers I needed.

Same thing happened at the University of Alabama. I met with a really nice instructor who also was an adviser in the business school. He gave me one decent piece of advice, but after that he really didn't know how to handle my academic needs. I finally met with an associate dean in the business school and he got everything worked out and helped me get on a fast track to graduation this coming December. Now if I have any issues I just email him directly and he's been able to take care of things very quickly.

Good luck with everything.