View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
OP, big congrats on 'earning' your degree. I am a professor and a little confused with your question. However, after reading your post a few times would suggest, perhaps, you are not getting the best advice that will help in your future career goals in the future.

I have advised many of my past undergraduate students as well as past students planning on grad school. Try this:
1st: Write down your overall career goals in under 150 words.
2nd: Set goals (each goal that follows in 100 words or less). First list your career goal one year after graduation, then a career goal 2 years after graduation, then your career goal 5 years after graduation.

After writing down goals determine if courses taken and possible future courses will help you achieve those goals. Do your own research to determine market demands for your chosen profession and don't just rely on one advisors opinion.

Only you can determine your long range plan. Then you are responsible for researching how to achieve your goals. Back in the 'olden days', when I was your age, I was lucky to have a mentor who taught me to write down my short & long term career goals. He was correct, it worked for me, and I have passed this info to some of my students. My past students who followed my advice and wrote down their short and long term goals have achieved their career goals in 5 years or less.

Know your career goals and what your career industry wants in a new hire. Your first job after you graduate might determine your future worth to other employers in the next 5-10 years or more. Employers are looking for people that show they are diverse/flexible, can adapt to the changing market demands. Trust me, personally been where you are today.

Regarding courses, talk only to your program coordinator. Talk only to your program coordinator after you spend some time to write out / communicate your career goals clearly.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote