View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It was an outrageous comparison, but fun, IMO. Godzilla is one of those benchmarks that sub-$100K cars have to be compared to. To not already know what the outcome would be would be a little surprising to me, but while numbers don't lie, they aren't always the only factor.

I was hoping for Z06 (the base car - not Z07) to be the benchmark for ZL1 - mostly because then I knew there wouldn't be too much to worry about from the Blue Ovary crew. However - GS does a good job against the older GT500, so I'm still pleased. ZL1 is nearly 1000 pounds more, so I don't know that my hopes were that reasonable, lol.

I have been reading how drivable ZL1 has been through many reviews on the street. While I've always wanted a performer, I'm still glad GM made sure to keep in managable on the street. The biggest criticism I have for the Boss is that it just seems to me Ford was trying to make a race car out of a street car - and I think they did (no back seat and splitter you literally can't use on the street; not to mention the "red key"...). It's not that hard to do what they've done. I think GM's done an excellent job at taking a street car, and just elevating it to something where, for now, there's no competition. There's no other car I can think of with it's technologies and adaptabilities for the street and track. A dedicated drag strip mode?! REALLY?!!! That was the LAST place I'd figure GM to go with a car (I still consider it different than the PTM in 'Vette, because GM's being saying ZL1's mode is for prep'd tracks and such, for example).

Anyways - while this comparison might appear to be hyperbole at first to me - I think that was the point. It's not the numbers that were necessarily the point. They made it sound like ZL1 was the more rewarding car to drive, and isn't that what it's about? That's what it is for me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote