View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Sales and profitability are two different things. Since Dodge is the lowest priced brand of the 5 under the Chrysler umbrella, there is a good chance they're also going to have the lowest profits on a per vehicle basis of any of them. The brand might even be losing money. Figure the overall profit numbers are somewhat meagre for Chrysler Corp & chances are they're making a decent amount off of Ram and Jeep; SRT is so small that it probably doesn't matter one way or the other; and Chrysler itself probably sees modest profits. Add that up, and the only explanation that I have for low overall profits is that Dodge losing a sizable portion of the money that the others are making. If thats the case, I could see Sergio & company consider dropping the brand. I don't think that result is likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens either.
I just don't see how that could be with their current lineup. Most of what they have right now, with the exclusion of the dart and Durango, are older platforms that are long ago paid off. Also, they are not really less expensive than their Chrysler counterparts either. Basically the only reason the Chrysler's have been more expensive the last year or so is because there, with the exception of the 200, there are no more base model Chryslers. Basically, as expected, Dodge is being placed as the entry level maker for the cars and CUVs.You are right, we have to wait and see, but I am seeing it as they are doing what they set out to do, they are giving each brand a distinct identity.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote