View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I would caution people about using a 5 or 6 pint harness in a car without a roll cage of some sort. 3 point belts are designed to allow your body to move to one side or the other under certain conditions, including rollovers. A 5 or 6 point will keep you upright in the seat and may do more harm than good in a rollover should the roof collapse.

I have personally witnessed a rollover in a 911 where the instructor had the 3 point belt on, and was happy he did as the roof collapsed due to a direct strike on the A-pillar on his side. Had he been more securely fastened his head would have been in the crush zone.

I know it's nice to have that secure feeling a 5 or 6 point provides, but all safety equipment should be examined as a whole before opting for just one component.
Words to live by. Literally. Three point belt allows a person to "rag-doll" in a rollover (as LostPony noted) to avoid neck/spinal injuries.

As nice as it is to be locked in by a 6-pt, it must be (for safety sake) in conjunction with a full safety system (full cage, no airbags, side nets, halo seat). I'll be tracking my Z/28 with nothing but OE safety systems.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote