Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bloodychunks View Post
ok, i have had my 11-SS since november of 2010 (thanks scotty

and i have reached 40k miles (yes i drive ALOT! )

and just recently i started having a very bad vibration in the shifter (manual) while moving,
whether in gear or in neutral.

(the vibration is much worse under hard acceleration)

it has been getting somewhat worse as of late,its to the point that the vibration numbs my hand :(

and the other day when i was under hard acceleration in first gear there was a loud clunking sound,for lack of a better word.

i plan on taking it to a dealer on monday,but does anyone know what it could be?

HELP!!!
Please do not drive it if you can manage for a short time without it...

I would highly recommend you get it on a lift or off the ground and check the drive shaft bolts at the trans and at the diff immediately...

There have been quite a few cases of the driveshaft bolts getting loose, or outright breaking.

A friend of mine had gradually worsening vibration and then it seemed to get really bad overnight... Took it to a dealership, apparently the wrong tech looked at it, without putting it on a lift or getting under the car, and stated catastrophic diff failure, no warranty coverage due to the car being lowered... It's a crock but that's the way it was written...

We got the car to my builders shop, and got it on a lift, sure enough, there was a broken bolt at the driveshaft to diff joint....

We replaced all of the bolts, and low and behold it not only fixed the vibration, but the Differential was no longer "catastrophically" damaged...

So, either get it up on stands and look yourself, or get it to a dealer/shop and take a good look at them... If they are loose, replace them... if they are broken obviously replace them... These are a one time use bolt...

If the dealer doesn't have any in stock, the Fastenal or another specialty bolt place should be able to match them... If it was me, I would get grade 12.9 bolts for this application.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote