View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #2433
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
I understood what you meant, I was just kidding!

But seriously, thanks! The paint I used for the repair was originally meant for my engine cover. I got it from paintscratch.com. It was the cheapest option I found for SGM, and since it was intended for my engine cover, I wasn't too concerned about a perfect match. I also just happened to order the plastic adhesion promoter too, since the cover is plastic. The front end damage happened after I got the paint, so I decided to give it a try, after all, it was under the chin where you can't really see anyway, and I figured if it wasn't a perfect match, no one would see.
Considering it was a rattle can, it actually worked pretty good. It took me a couple of tries to get it to look right. I found that the closer you spray, the darker it comes out. (The metal flakes get driven deeper in the paint.) So I had to hold the can back at its maximum distance to get the color close. Any farther and it wouldn't reach the surface. A lot of color sanding and buffing later, it was not perfect, but surprisingly close. I'm betting I could do it better with an actual spray gun, but I'm in no hurry to try! In the meantime, no one has noticed. Or if they have, they've been too polite to say anything.

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote