Thread: Which H-Pipe??
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee View Post
Hey guys. So I'll be getting my Camaro SS soon and the first mod will be the exhaust. I have decided on striaght pipes. I am also doing a resonator delete.

Originally I was gonna get the magnaflow X-Pipe to replace the resonators with. But I have been reading that the H-Pipe sounds a lot more like a muscle car, while the X-pipe is more of a sporty sound. I would go straight pipes all the way (resonator and mufflers) but I heard that causes a very noticeable decrease in performance.

My question is, what type of h-pipe do you guys recommend?

What are your long-term goals for your car? If you are ever considering long-tube headers, I highly recommend putting your money there first.

The stock H-pipe is perfectly fine for the majority of mods that are done to these cars. I don't suggest straight pipes at all because you will decrease the exhaust flow performance.

In summary:

1. If all you want is to change what it sounds like; get an axle-back.
2. If you want to increase volume, change the sound, and not throw codes; get HF cats and an axle back.
3. If you want max performance, more volume, and change the sound; get LTs and a tune. After that, look into an axle-back or a cat back to get the sound you want. Keep in mind that, after LTs and a tune, changing the mid section really won't get you anything except a little weight reduction.