View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #24
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
These days there is virtually no significant difference in gas mileage between a manual and auto. If anything, the auto would probably have better gas mileage. In stock configuration with no mods, the manual is about 1 tenth of a second faster than an auto...which isn't gonna make it a race car more than the auto. The manual may be cheaper...I dont know.

Personal reasons for me...manual is more fun and it seems to impress people more. But as far as the track, I'd rather have an auto for better launching and more consistent times. In heavy traffic, an auto is obviously easier to drive. In the V8 Camaro, the manual equipped car has more power and torque than the auto equipped cars. So really, there are enough good and bad reasons with both to make it a stalemate. It all comes down to what an individual prefers. If you really want a manual then you have to talk with your father...but if his mind is set, then nothing you say is going to change his mind. And definitely nobody here is gonna be able to convince him. Since you are 15 and this will be your first car, I would recommend you get an auto. And for that matter, I wouldn't recommend you get an SS for your first vehicle. You have a LOT to learn and driving is dangerous without a 400 hp car even if it is an auto...much less a 426 hp manual car. I doubt an SS is a good choice for you.
Agreed. As "cool" as it may be, I wouldn't get an SS as your first car. It's a lot of power and you don't have much driving experience. However, If you are stuck on the idea, at the very least, get the auto.