View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM has a longstanding frustration with the aftermarket. GM is known for extensive R&D testing and producing, overall, great products. Of course, we the enthusiasts, demand more power and customization to differentiate ourselves from the masses; or, alternatively, demand that our OEM models be special without customization. Usually, the latter group owns high-trim models, like the ZL1 or Z/28 on the Camaro. Similarly, these trends exist for the GT500, Z06, and ZR1, among others.

Getting back to that frustration with the aftermarket, GM has concerns about uncontrolled quality issues. GM can't control OBX exhaust quality just like it can't control ARH quality, and one of these two brands is renowned for excellent build and design while the other is known for low cost. Both find their ways to cars, and GM doesn't want to have their owners think that the car sucks as a whole when your lower grade parts let you down. Of course, GM does want us to go to the track and safely beat opponents. How can we do that without offering the same parts they can get from the Dodge or Ford dealer?

Furthermore, this isn't new. People have been fabricating knock-off parts for generations. These issues may not be apparent to a casual buyer anyway. By taking away the tendency of builders to use aftermarket knock-offs, GM is ensuring the brand retains high acclaim for the long haul. Good cars with bad parts still come to forums to complain, and they might not admit to having crappy parts. Who else has seen a post where someone clearly made a mistake and tried to cover it up or blame GM for their own bad install, bad tune, bad parts, or other mistakes?

Owners of particularly expensive vehicles tend to feel that their cars are fast and unique from the factory. GM agrees, but also points out that the styling is functional. For instance, the "flowtie" is functional for air flow, and the brake ducts contribute to braking performance.

For some reason, these modifications are seen as elite and only worthy of a Z/28, even if a kid in a half-broken Scion tC does the same thing to the car he bought for $5k, albeit with junk parts he or she found on eBay.

Here's the thing. The Camaros—all trims—are on the same platform. Your parts are not special. They bold directly to my car, a 2SS. Although some parts may require substantial modification to get them to work on mine, they will eventually fit due to clearances being the same, mounting points being the same, styling being the same, etcetera.

For the Z/28 or ZL1 buyer, take solace in knowing that your parts work together to outperform the sum of my parts. Throwing a supercharger on my 376 doesn't give me an LSA. There's a lot more to a ZL1. Likewise, the Z/28 is a combination of parts built to harmonize at a performance level outside the envelope of any SS. Can I build a faster SS? Yes, but it won't turn like yours. Can I build a better handling SS? Yes, but it won't be as fast. The balance won't be right. It will still be a Camaro SS.

In closing, just because I can throw Z/28 and ZL1 parts at my Camaro does not make me a faker scrub trying to build a cheap Z-spec Camaro. It makes me an enthusiast who likes functional parts that have been rigorously tested by General Motors and Chevrolet Performance to exceed the prevailing standards of the aftermarket. After all, if you really believed the aftermarket was safer, faster, and featured better handling all at the same time, you, despite your budget for a rich man or woman's Camaro, would drive a Camaro SS with a heavy load of aftermarket goodies. You don't believe that, and so you take your warrantied ("safer" as stated above) Camaro with higher performance ("faster" and "better handling" as stated above) from the factory. Since you believe these mods are safer and higher performance from the factory, why should I be excluded from using just part of your so-called special parts? They're from a factory. They're from a highly popular OEM. People wear Chevy baseball hats. Shouldn't they buy their parts from Chevy as often as possible? Shouldn't Chevrolet benefit from this enthusiasm, not just in the sales process of cars but also in the sales of parts? Should GM stop selling crate motors unless you can prove your car once had the performance motor you request? Should GM stop selling parts altogether, only offering to fix what is broken on your car?

TL;DR—Your car isn't special; it just costed you more, but your car also performs better than mine, because of your OEM parts. It came from the same body and factory as mine, but the sum of your parts performs better than the sum of mine. I want your functional parts, and GM complied. Now, they get to make more money. Deal with it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote