View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2gozoom View Post
Share the plan to make that happen Jason.... I didnt mention the RotoFab above because to me... it and the K&N are essentially the same. You've seen the K&N and the RotoFab in person I am guessing... I havent seen you type without thinking yet !.

By the way ... nearly two tenths of a second with JUST JF Ported LFX intake, JF LFX intake spacer and no CAI on yet is impressie.

I am guessing you could comment a lot about whether the LFX intake manifold resonds well or poorly to turbulent air.

Thanks for your response.
What plan are you talking about?

I have never seen a K&N intake for the Camaro in person, just read reviews and looked at pictures. I actually just got a Roto-Fab intake for my car to try out. Comparing pictures, the RF intake (especially the heat shield/air box) looks to by of a much higher quality than the K&N...

Typically if you read up on K&N filters, they have 4 to 6 layers of filter media... To the guy's above that are talking about a filter that actually filters, as well as performs; The Roto-Fab intakes use S&B filters which are have 8 layers of filtration media. As do the CAI Inc. brand filters, but I couldn't tell you who makes them for them. The Roto-Fab filters show up new in an S&B filter box. If you order the RF with a dry filter they did (and may still) come with an AFe Pro Dry S filter. I don't know much about those filters, but I do know that air flow wise, they do not flow as much as the oiled S&B filter option. My intake came with the AFe Pro Dry S filter, and I just happed to have a new oiled S&B filter for the Roto-Fab in stock. You can guess which one I used after slapping them on the flow bench. I'm not afraid of a little oil.

Having tried 6 or 7 intakes on my previous SS, you can bet the one I currently have won't be my last (anyone want to buy a used Roto-Fab?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2gozoom View Post
THE CAI- cai is "NICE". But I do feel that for a small additional $$ cost per unit and a little less profit, CAI could have provided a plastic scoop to push air up to their CAI box from the lower grill intake. They could have even used the stock WW pump in original position below with original bolts holding their plastic scoop in place, and then even have provided a small WW resevoir that would fit up top in the engine bay.

Now, THAT would have been a complete job of engineering, and then I too would be proclaiming "winner winner chicked dinner". as it is... I say to CAI "great path - why did you quit so close to nailing it".

A complete kit like that for $399 and even I would be saying "winner winner chicken dinner"
I understand what you are saying, but most of these intake places don't want to make intake accessories, they want to make intakes. The scoop was an after thought to most, but the one company that actually started selling the scoop with the intake charges more... $100 dollars more for the scoop and a washer bottle relocation, over just the intake.

Are the intakes for the Camaro over priced? Some, yes. However, most places spend a lot of time on R&D, tooling, testing, etc... For the most part, they are not just an ebay special that's a tube with a cone filter.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote