View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #142
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
My last car, 2009 m3 dct . Only 414 HP. Puts down the same numbers(1/4 mile, 0 to 60 and top speed) as the zl1. It Weighed only 3600 lbs. It Should have creamed the zl1 at the ring right?!? Not even close. Having owned the car, I would have thought the m3 would be faster there....dct, lighter, impecable brakes, extremely great handling car. I have been trying to figure out why the zl1 was so much faster at the ring. Its not a better chassis, it can't just be the HP. It must be the mag ride and the torque. I have put the ls7 z06 , the m3, and the zl1 through repeated hairpins hard and fast. So many shifts and tight turns that my brain was mush at turn 30 or 40 in a few minutes, the m3 turned easier and more predictably. I think that to succeed at the ring, you need toque and mag ride. The 500 lbs difference didn't help the m3 at the ring and the 300lb diff won't do miracles for the z28. I believe that the ZL1 was originally intended to be the Z28 and gm got it right the first time. It was given the muscle and graceful suspension to do its intended track king job. They should have just given the zl1 carbon ceramic brakes and the new wheels and tires , then called that the new z28. That would be a scary car. This new z is kind of like a wanna be z06 that is too fat on the scale. That ls7 was made for a vette, and belongs in a vette. If i were buying a track only car, i would buy the z06 again. This new z28 looks light a marketing blitz to sell extra camaros. For anyone expecting z06 ring times from a car with the same engine but carrying 800 lbs more, you either have too much faith in sticky tires or you are delusional.

Final evidence of mag ride importance at the ring, look at gm z06 times without mag ride and with mag ride. Same car same engine. Mag ride and better tires and brakes. Huge time diff. Look at zr1 times with or without the special race tires, only a 3 sec diff in lap time. I believe mag ride will keep the ZL1 king at the ring.

Oh, as far the the tires alone making a difference, it will make a huge diff! Ask any stock zl1 owner, we always, always have traction issues. Given stickier tires, the ZL1 could put its power down sooner and we wouldn't have to moderate throttle in second and third. I have driven a 2012ss , they chirp here and there but you guys have no idea how much more potential a Zl has in just tires.
you seem to be forgetting that the z/28 is already 3 seconds faster than the zl1 around Milford even with mag-ride.

also, the z/28 is for track only guys. if you were one, you'd know that we generally like n/a motors with more CI over f/i. better curves, and more reliability. also, the z/28s shocks were adapted from formula 1. if mag-ride is the end all, be all for road racing, than why aren't f1 cars using it?

I'm really trying to help you understand this without coming off as a dick lol.

the zl1 simply wont be as fast as the z/28 around the ring. do you really think GM would even advertise the z/28 like they did if it had a slower time than the zl1? they are charging MORE for a car with LESS creature comforts to serve its purpose as a factory TRACK car, but this "track car" is slower around the ring than the less expensive more comfortable zl1? what??! that would be down right embarrassing! and GM is definitely smarter than that.

we are also comparing stock to stock. no switching tires. the whole package deal... the trofeo R's are just another part of what makes the z/28 so awesome.

you really seem VERY confident that the z/28 wont be as fast as its little brother zl1 (yes i said "little". even GM said the z/28 is the new top dog.) when the lap times are published, i will be VERY tempted to quote all of your posts and put a bunch of these guys .

I realize i've made a lot of claims here.. and if you are right, and i am wrong please do quote this exact post and do the same lol. cuz i will gladly eat my words, and shake my head in shame of what GM has done with the z/28..

until then...