View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #161
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
I've been reading through this and maybe I've missed something or maybe you folks have, but we're forgetting one thing. Chips. The Camaro my very well have the LS3 as a base engine( detuned/programed to say the high 300's to say low 400's hp, then next level low 400's to 450's hp and so on)depending on what type of chip they program it with, right? I mean, depending on what chip they put in the cars computer, wouldn't that count as a separate engine in it's self? You see plenty of after-market chips out there to boost horse power, why couldn't GM do the same here? Anyways, I just thought I'd throw that out and see what you folks think.
'Chips' as you say really don't exist... what you are thinking of is the actual software that runs on the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Every modern car uses one of these to control ignition timing, valve timing, engine knock, etc... and yes, depending on how its programmed you can sometime eek out a little more power.

Generally this is MUCH easier with a turbocharged car since the incoming air is compressed by the turbo. The pressure is controlled by the ECU, and if you reprogram it to allow higher intake boost pressure, the engine will make more power.

On a Naturally Aspirated car (NA) you can advanced the ignition timing somewhat, and increase fuel injector duty cycle a little, but you're really not going to see nearly the same increase in power.

Additionally, the ECU is the only 'safety net' on your car... if something goes wrong, it knows enough to shut down... if you mess with it, you risk real damage...

I wouldn't count on huge power gains from just software... its not that easy.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote