View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Good points.

My short experience with a centrifugal on my L99 was that when peak boost came on, the drivetrain, most notably the transmission still had to handle that extra power. And the centri on my car for some reason was not even making very much extra power, but still, you could feel that extra surge add some stress to the car. I could only imagine what a properly tuned centri feels like when the boost really comes on.

So, my point is that centris too can really affect the drivetrain, even though the torque peaks higher up in the RPM band.
I see what you're saying but it's generally not the peak HP/tq that kills you going down the track. It's usually right off the line or within the first 60ft. That tells me that the faster your car makes tq, the more strain that is put on the drivetrain. Think about it, what would be harder on a axle, gears, etc? A gradual increase in tq or instant? That's not saying that turbos and centri's won't break drivetrain parts, just that they are easier on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
In my opinion a roots blower would be more fun. low rpm torque = a blast. I heard from many people that they get bored with a procharger/turbo because they have to be going at high speeds/rpms to really get the most fun out of it.

For me, id rather have the low end grunt. The Camaro is already fast enough at higher speeds...plus i can't stand the noise of a turbo. It's like nails on chalk board to me.
What's your definition of highspeed? I know VRE's single setup as well as Fastlanes have very nice tq numbers by 2.5k rpm. 400/2.5k rpm, 500/3k rpm, 650/3.5k rpm, 730/4k rpm doesn't sound like it has to be "highspeed" to me,
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote