View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Thing is, most of the items you listed require only a brief moment of attention before re-focusing on the road.

Carrying on a cell conversations is quite different from talking to someone else in your car. Passengers will usually stop talking when you need to focus on driving (such searching for a particular address or heavy traffic) because they realize you need to focus. Plus, they can spot things that you may have missed. The person on the other end of a cell phone is quite different. They can't sense the amount of attention you need for driving, and they can't help you if you miss something.

Digital radios are pretty easy to quickly tune these days with dozens of presets, auto-seek, and steering wheel controls. Older radios with the manual tuning knob would probably be a lot more difficult to adjust while driving. However, changing out CD's (particularly single disc units, or going back to 8 tracks and cassettes) while driving could be problematic. Ejecting the old, searching for the one you want, then inserting the new one does take a fair amount of attention. Normally, I don't do it while I'm moving. I'll change them before I leave, or do it at a stop light or something.

Texting usually requires a great deal of both mental and visual focus on the buttons and screen. Grabbing a drink from the cup holder can usually be done without taking your eyes off the road, and it requires little to no thought to control the movement of your arm. Same goes for eating a burger or fries (though I imagine that chicken fingers/mcnuggests would be much more difficult).

Makeup (or shaving) while driving is just plain stupid. You have to watch yourself in a mirror constantly while doing it. Very bad for multiple reasons.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote