View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #150
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Hey bud, can't disagree with you there. Very interesting point you made about the ZL-1 being a Z/28. It should've been. But to make it seem interesting, they stripped things from an SS rather than ZL-1. The ZL-1 originally was produced for the NHRA. A strip. It had a 427 in it. It SHOULD'VE had the LS7 in it this go around. GM really screwed it up. 2014 Z/28 should've had the LSA and mag ride with the missing options like AC and radio. The 2012 ZL-1 should've had the LS7 NA with a slightly upgraded suspension in an SS version.

They're basically profiting off the names. I'm not discounting what they've done with the 2, but a thorough investigation shows they're off on building the 2. The ZL-1 should've competed with the GT500 at the strip. Period. Instead they go around it with beating it on a track. So we have 2 track camaros and no camaro that competes on the strip? Makes no sense.

GM you're listening? Build a stripped street legal drag strip racer with an LS7!
I've said it a couple of times that both the ZL1 and the Z/28 compromised the hertiage of their name plates on this 5h generation platform. Don't get me wrong; Both cars are awesome, and technically they do carry on the performance numbers of their forebearers.

However, to me it looks like one or two decisions about naming these 5th gen prototypes were made too hastily; In the case of both the zl1 and z28, it doesn't appear that we have as clear of a distinction between the models as it was with the original Z28 and ZL1. As an example; It was well known that the original ZL1 featured a 427 cu. inch big block, and was a naturally aspirated, straight-line street car (screamer), and that the Z/28 was a light weight, small block performance car that emphasized efficient power and good handling.

Fast forward to 2013: We have a ZL1 with a small block, supercharged engine, and with an emphasis on handling and technology. We also now have a Z/28 with a 427 cu. in. engine (albeit also a small block), with stripped amenities and also focusing on handling. To me, both cars do not have a clear grasp on the heritage of their forebearers that made the nameplates legendary. Its my opinion, but I feel that the images of both cars would've been clearer if one car would've been dedicated as a drag strip influenced car, while the other (z/28) would have had have a stricter focus on handling and also featuring a specific derived small block engine in the 300 cu. inch range. It seems that both 5th gens are trying to do it all at once, and it remains to be seen that either car could be a dominant player in their respective performance categories.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote