View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
I'm looking for some info and advice on headers and exhaust. I've already decided I'm going to go with Stainless Works headers. I'm not sure what to do (if anything) about the exhaust. I've read a lot of posts that say the car sounds great with headers and the stock cat-back exhaust. However, most of those posts are early (2011-2012) before there were a lot of cat-back systems available for ZL1. Now there are several systems available and there are more posts about people replacing their exhaust. My thought is I'd like to just do headers for now and see if I like the sound. SW has a connection option for that - factory connection. Now, what if I decide I want to add their retro cat-back exhaust later? Would I need to switch my headers to their performance connection to make it all fit, or could I do the exhaust with a factory connection to mate up with the factory connection on the headers? I don't want to pigeon hole myself with the headers first. Also, if I go factory to factory on the connection (if this is possible), will that hurt performance (I think the factory connections are smaller)?
Thanks
mrshanes,

As the other members above stated, I would do the headers first and see how you like it that way. The sound you get out of just the headers and the dual mode exhaust is great on a ZL1. I actually prefer just headers with the dual mode exhaust.

As for the connection question. The SW exhaust usually necks down to the factory connection. The factory clamp is used with most exhaust systems to make the sealing connection between the header and exhaust.

Thank you,
Ricardo