View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post
this is what i think; it'll be a twin turbo v6 reasons being that if and only if the z28 is built it'll most likely be in 2012 for a '13 MY, and by then all these "green" bills will be passed making it mandatory for this car, or any car for that matter, to pass certain criterias such as a minimum MPG. Heck I'll be surprised if GM is still able to produce a V8 by then, the way things are going.

Note: everything i have just stated is only my theory and no concrete facts, so please do not hold me agianst anything I have just stated ...but also feel free to comment. Thank you for your time.
There are no proposed laws mandating minimum fuel economy standards. While CAFE is a dumb way to try and use less gasoline, it isn't that dumb. CAFE is an average for the entire company, so everything from the Volt to the Regal to the CTS-V gets added together. The basics are that you take the fuel economy of a car and multiply it by the number of those cars sold. Add it up for all the vehicles sold, then divide by the total number of vehicles sold. Now, how they calculate a particular cars CAFE score is a little complicated since it isn't based on the EPA window sticker. But roughly, it will equate to the highway rating you see.

And regarding the fear of losing V8's, the Camaro SS gets about the same fuel economy as some high performance 4bangers and is a little behind some V6 coupes. The Chevy Small Block will enter its 5th generation soon with a 10-15% estimated increase in fuel efficiency. Lastly, cars that have a longer wheelbase and wider track width than average get a little compensation for their CAFE score. They are allowed to be a little less efficient without hurting the overall corporate average. Conversely, smaller than average 'footprints' will be expected to be more efficient. The ~300 hp turbocharged cars like the Evo or WRX are in much more danger than V8 Camaros.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote