View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #91
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Why does Livernois recommend no catch can? Just curious.

Tracy, a little constructive criticism from a customer rep manager: there's a time to respond publicly, and a time to just let the issue die out on its own. It seems that when you respond, the pot just gets stirred. I don't have a dog in this fight. This is just a suggestion from an observer.

To further that, the bit above to promote catch cans is in poor taste, in this thread at least. Do what you gotta do to peddle your stuff, but keep in mind that there's a time and a place. This thread provides neither.

Good luck to all of you.
I sent them close to $1000 in products in the past to try, they refused with the comment "oil is good for the supercharger". They were kind enough to return them uninstalled. I respect so much of their abilities in builds, tunes, they have state of the art CNC machines, and one of the cleanest, nicest, biggest shops around....but do not want to discuss the issues the oil ingestion causes. Not sure why, but they are not alone. If your never taught this aspect of crankcase evacuation it is easy to not realize the damage done so I'm not sure why they choose to ignore it, but that is their choice.

The facts are this:

1. Any oil ingestion in the intake air tract will cause detonation and less energy produced per explosive event (you only want air/fuel in the combustion chamber....pour a capful of oil in a saucer and try and light it on fire....it dosent burn well if at all unless under high heat and pressure) so combined with less power and the timing pulled due to detonation that is an immediate negative.

2. The oil residue that bakes on and accumulates on the rotors causes them to be off balance (they are so finely balanced to maintain stability at the rpms they sin even a minute off balance causes vibration and shortens bearing life). There are pictures in GM's TSB's on this as well as all over the internet forums. The bearings are sealed in their own oil bath so there is nothing getting lubricated by the intake charge oil contamination....it only causes harm.

3. The intercooler, as the picture above tells the story, becomes clogged with this baked on residue/varnish from the oil ingestion so 2 things occur. The flow is restricted obstructing the flow through the intercooler as designed when new, and the coating insulates the intercooler from effectively transferring heat as well as it does if it is the bare metal as it comes new. The 15k miles in the picture above I estimate it has already lost 15% plus of its ability to transfer heat and properly cool the intake air charge. A log of IAT'2s will show just how this effects the power produced.

4. The carbon deposits on the piston tops and combustion chambers has a negative effect on the burn pattern and quench area's also resulting in a degradation of power/economy over time.

Those 4 crystal clear points alone should convince even the most unaware why you don't ever want oil contaminating the intake air charge.

Only a two stroke engine is designed to burn oil, and that oil is formulated for a clean deposit free burn.

And yes, the thread has run its course. all parties have had their say.