Thread: Cam basics
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #56
5ThGen1

Drives: 00 Z71,06 CTS,10 2SSRS,11 CTS,12 RS
Lopiest Cam Possible???

I would like to put a very lopity (if that is even a word lol) cam in my LS3. I have a 2010 2SS/RS M6 that is strickly a show car. She only gets driven to and from car shows so drivability is really not a factor. I am NOT necesarily looking for improved power as I do not "race" this car whatsoever but a mean SOUNDING idle as I pull into the carshow. If at all possible I would like to keep all original/stock parts except for the cam with regards to valves, springs, ect. I would like it to have that k-klumpity k-klumpity sound at idle and not just sound choppy. I dont know how else to say it without mentioning an old chevy 350 I had in my 86 Z-28 (yes I know, 86 didnt have a 350, it was a motor I built for my highschool project car). I dont remember what the cam specs were (possible RV style) but I absolutely loved the idle at about 850 rpms (as low as it would go without stalling) of that motor as the whole car shook with vengence.

I have a intermediate understanding of cams and how they work, but...

I have a few questions/options though:

1, Can I have a custom cam ground to keep the lift the same in order to provide proper clearances of the valve/pistons but change the LSA or duration to give it that k-klumpity lope without having to change out the whole valvetrain?

2, Should I keep YOUTUBE surfing and watch videos until I find a Cam that is already out there that I like without the garantee that I will find one eventually, not to mention possibly having to change the valvetrain...

3, I can go ahead and change the valvetrain and then either have a custom cam ground or buy a Name brand one already in production...

Does anyone have a better knowledge about the LS3 and what specs will make her sound rough at idle and sing at higher RPMs???

Any info will be greatly apreciated.

Ordered 01/18/10 NSVXRZ
Picked up 02/26/10 "KLEEN"
5ThGen1 is offline   Reply With Quote