View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #265
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Thanks for the in depth reply. I got what most of the guys in the beginning of the thread were saying but this was very clear and precise and helped clarify a bit more.
Made me wonder though, if they stuck that 305 rear on a wider rim on the ZL1, therefore stretching the tire and reducing some of the overall grip, would that help the ZL1 become more neutral and easier to rotate in the corners? Or would they also have to fatten up the fronts like they did on the Z/28 to get that effect?
I don't think it's quite as simple as a wider wheel reducing grip. On one hand, the tire should gain a little vertical stiffness assuming you maintain the same inflation pressure. which will tend to reduce mechanical grip slightly. But on the other, there will be less tread distortion, which improves the situation . . . at least as long as you can still get (or keep) the tread similarly flat on the pavement. I'm quite sure you'd have to revisit the front wheel size, since reducing the rear slip angles without affecting the front slip angles is by definition additional understeer.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote