View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #89
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Z View Post
How do they say that a 1LE handles better than a ZL-1? I'm not sure I get that.....
"Handling" is more than just measured performance stats. The way it "feels" as you're generating those numbers is part of it.

IOW, more about transient behavior such as when you initiate a turn and the car is still in the process of rolling over to however much your cornering will ultimately make it go. I think you have to look beyond such factors as weight, weight distribution, and tire size(s) in the static sense and try to imagine how they (and other factors) affect how the car responds to your steering and pedal inputs as a function of time. Yeah, I know that's kind of a big mouthful all at once.

I'd certainly expect the 1LE's handling feel to be "lighter" and for it to be slightly more responsive even if there isn't much difference in the published skidpad and slalom numbers.

One analogy might be the difference between using a 28-oz framing hammer vs the 16-oz claw hammer that many of us probably own. One of them gets the job done rather more brutally than the other.

Semi-off topic - I'm surprised that the Boss LS is that far off the pace . . . or that anybody on the planet could spot Randy Pobst 20 seconds a lap at WS and still beat him back to the line.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote