View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
Stingraye

Drives: 2011 2SS / RS M6 LS3 IBM
Hey guys I'm a BMW tech and just thought I'd throw in my .02. I've been at the dealer where BMW runs castrol syntec for upward of 15000 miles between oil changes. I've seen the condition of the oil when it comes out of an engine with that many miles and I can tell you I wouldn't want oil that dirty in my engine. The shop we work at now we change the oil every 5000 mi and the oil is in noticeable better condition (still using syntec) and while it's not beyond it's life, I feel that 5000 miles is a good interval for keeping an engine clean with a good qualiy oil. I ran my ls1 z28 clear up to 210k mi and still running strong using syntec and changing every 5k mi. I now have 600 miles on my ls3 which I plan to do a breakin oil change at 750 mi using castrol edge and changing oil every 5k mi.

Also in regard to the cam affecting oil life. The cam replacement itself if left with a stock tune won't affect oil life. What will affect oil life is when you tune the ECM, as this usually leads to running the engine richer, and depending on how rich the tune is you may need to change your oil more often. And of course if you run the car hard consistently, all of that abuse and high temps will burn up the oil faster and also require more frequent changes.
Stingraye is offline   Reply With Quote