View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
I ordered this item even before taking delivery of my 2013 Camaro SS, based on my high level of annoyance with a 1994 Camaro. In that older generation, the skip shift was extremely intrusive and frustrating. It was a counterproductive measure encouraging faster acceleration and fuel usage just to avoid getting shoved into 4th gear from 1st. I suppose it's real purpose was better corporate average fuel economy for GM. In the current generation, the skip shift menace is far less apparent. It seems not to intrude under normal city driving like the one of old. But in a way, it makes it that much more annoying when it does happen because one doesn't expect it as before. In any case, it's still worth eliminating it.
I was encouraged by reviews describing the ease of installation. Having just installed mine, I will say it wasn't as simple as I expected. The tight space where the work needs to be done is very limiting. Working with floor jacks, one can only get one hand at a time on the plug. Removal requires prying up a clip and then pulling the plug. I couldn't do that with one hand. I succeeded after leaving a wedged screwdriver blade under the clip and then pulling on it. Installing the eliminator was easier, but again, the tight quarters required some one hand maneuvers to clip the ends together. Once installed, it worked as promised. The skip shift indicator lights up on the dash, but 2nd gear is now available as the car gods intended.
When ordering from the Amazon site, there's an option to enter one's vehicle information. When I did that, I got a warning that the item would not fit my vehicle. I even tried changing my vehicle profile to others that were listed in the description and still got the message. I emailed Yates Performance (the vendor listed at the time, it is a different one now) and they responded very quickly, reassuring me the part should work. The SLP skip shift eliminator is well worth the minimal expense and minor maneuvering it takes to install.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote