View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Post FI for MPG instead of power?

Hey all, recently in my area I'd seen both a Silverado and a Corvette with vinyl numbers/advertising on the side. Come to find out they are claimed MPG values, and they are rather impressive if true:

Corvette - 40mpg city 32mpg highway - 775HP 691ft-lb
Silverado - 32mpg city 28mpg highway - 500HP 450ft-lb

http://www.genesvettes.com/index.html

They also claim that because of their work with the manufacturer, the package installation is covered by the factory warranty, and installs in about three hours. They appear to use a remote turbo system, custom tuning, but not much info other than that.

Getting to our V6's, I see the most common push for FI being raw numbers, but would it be possible to build for straight efficiency and MPG as the goal?

I DD my Camaro, so if I could see better MPG numbers, the system would pay for itself over the life of the car. I don't honestly have a need for more power, but if I could see small/no gains but get better MPG...that would make the vehicle go from just being awesome for me to being nearly perfect.

In my layman's mind it would also seem to be a different way to approach the fueling issue with FI, where instead of not having enough fuel or being able to deliver it, we'd be instead trying to get the most out of what we already have.

So is this snake oil/pipe dream or something within the realm of possibility? Are any gains just the result of a refined tune?

I would also bet that the system could probably be adapted to the V8 Camaros as well...so if it's plausible then we may need to get a head start so they can't claim more power and better MPGs!
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote