View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #2989
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I agree. But even we, as gun owners, can't pretend like there isn't a pretty big difference with that style of rifle over something like a handgun or a beginner's hunting rifle... or knife or rocks. They all can kill someone, but if they were all equal, why would we care if we couldn't have them? We'd still have handguns, shotguns, bolt-actions...

I'm not anti-gun... but to play devil's advocate, I think it's foolish for us to pretend they are just like any other gun. They're not. This rifle gets a bad rep because it, in its original form, was not DESIGNED for anything other than combat. It just wasn't. Do we use it for other things? Of course. Some people use it for hunting (I've never met a person that did), they compete, they shoot as a hobby, they collect... the majority of them will never be used, even by accident, on another person.

We have a civilian version of a weapon that was designed to be used on other people. And when a whack job uses it for that purpose, that's how it gets blown up into the drama that it is right now. My personal feeling is that if we, as owners, don't at least acknowledge the difference between this kind of weapon and dad's hunting rifle, we look like just as big of idiots that say it doesn't have any practical purpose other than the battle field.

That is where you are wrong. What about a mini14? They are both as accurate and can shot as many round as fast as you can pull the trigger. How is one more dangerous than the other. It is foolish to want to protect one type of firearms over the other. You are climbing a slippery slope that does not end well for gun owners. If you want to talk about devistation you would be hard pressed to best a shotgun. If you want big caliber a bolt action will best your semiauto "gun designed for combat".

I can see the future already after all these supposidely gun rights "advocate" that champions the 2A compromise with the gun grabbers. I mean who really needs a shotgun since they are capable of shoot 8-9 projectiles the size of "9's" in one shot right? Or who needs a bolt action that can shoot such a high caliber above what our current military uses in combat right? Either your protect the 2A or you don't. There is no middle ground. Any other stance is flaws in logic and leads to nothing but restrictions on law abiding citizens.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote