View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Need Advice / Lease?

Hey everyone...I've had my Camaro purchase on my mind for a while now (like I'm sure many of you have). I was just wondering if I could get your opinions on my particular situation. I'm sure there are a few other people in similar situations, so maybe this could help them out as well.

I guess I'll start off saying that I'm 23, just started a great new job, and living at home for now to pay off college loans/save for a house/save for the Camaro. Right now I'm driving my Dad's Buick Lesabre to work which is a 34 mile commute each way (mostly highway). It's pretty much on its last leg, but I'm sure it would last until the Camaro came out.

So with that out of the way, I've been considering two scenarios. The first being just wait until I'm 25 in June 2009 and buy the Camaro and use that as my daily driver.

The second scenario I've been throwing around was to lease a high MPG car (new Malibu looks really nice) and use that as a daily driver and only use the Camaro on weekends. The upside to this would be saving gas on my commute and less wear and tear on the Camaro. I've heard that insurance companies will give multiple car discounts as well as a discount if the car is considered to be a "Weekend Vehicle." Is this true?

I did some quick calculations and the difference between 20 MPG and 30 MPG (at $3.25/gallon and 34 mile one-way commute) would save me around $900 a year. I really don't know how to put a value on reduced wear and tear and I'm not really sure how much insurance will be on a V8 Camaro. The lease payments obviously would have to be considered. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if some of these costs and savings would offset for the most part. I know having two cars will cost more than one, but how much more?

So with all this, do you guys have any words of wisdom for me? I know I may be new, but I've been reading these boards for a while and I know there are a lot of smart people on here.

Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote