Thread: Ring Gear Size
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: 2015 ZL1 for weekends mostly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
I am not from GM Powertrain. I work with GM Performance Parts.

We compared the Ring and Pinion to a G8 setup and they are close but not close enough.

It is a 8.6" plus a little bit from what I am told. American Axle supplies the assembly with components from several vendors.

From what I have observed the center section is made by ZF. The half shafts are made by Delphi.

I have had issues with "one wheel peel" during burnouts at the track.

I had contacted some people at Eaton about making a True Track diff but they have a lot of other priorities at this time.

I have sent a 3.27 R&P to my buddy at Motive in the hopes that they will develop a gear for the Camaro. The center section is aluminum so there is a limit to how much power that will hold.

I noticed that someone talked about building drop in center sections. IMHO this would be the best way to get the gears and diff that we need.

Robin
Is there anyone brave enough to take the pioneer route and get with Currie to get a 9 inch made into a IRS that will bolt right in and have the same wheel bolt pattern? At least that way there is room for power and an almost infinite selection of gear ratios. I have seen things like that before in other cars.
What about the Corvette guys? What are they doing to support high power?

Just wondering but it seems frustrating to feel stuck in a box for now and not have any choice.