View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
mrosa

Drives: 2012 SS2 Camaro
Competitive mode Vs. Disabling TC completely: For Speed/Power

It seems like there are still many people that think there is more power/speed with Competitive Mode in comparison to turning off TC completely. So I'd like to get some verification/opinions/feedback on the below on-going experiment i'm doing in comparing the power and speed of "Competitive Mode"(hitting TCS button twice) to the power and speed you get when disabling TC completely(hitting TCS button once):

When I picked up my new 2012 2SS Camaro(Automatic V8) the other day the dealer described the difference like this: "If you hit the TCS/Stabilitrak button twice you will be in Competitive Mode which will provide you more power and speed while also maintaining some control. However if you hit the button once then BE CAREFUL because you will turn off TractionControl and Stabilitrak completely and the car will be ridiculously fast but you may kill yourself". So obviously the first thing I did after pulling out of the lot was to hit that TCS button once to turn off TC completely... and I was pretty impressed, the car was MUCH faster and I actually went sideways thru the intersection. I then tested out the competitive mode and hit the button twice and noticed a loss in speed and power in comparison.

And furthermore I read on a few forum posts that the more experienced racers prefer to have the most control and power, and thus prefer turning off TC completely(hitting the button once), as opposed to the more novice racers that say they rely on competitve mode as something similiar to "training wheels" so they won't lose control and fly off the track. So that being said you would think that the Chevy marketing folks would advertise the option of disabling TC completely(hitting the button once) as "Competitive Mode(since it is faster)" instead and then perhaps document the current "competitive Mode"(hitting the button twice) option as a "training mode" or something.

I'd like to hear back on what other folks think(and YES ive read the manual cover to cover in regard to the sections on "Competitive Mode", Stabilitrak and TCS). I'm most interested in finding out what other people's experiences have been and if there are possibly any performance tests that have been done that show exactly how much speed/power is associated with driving with TC disabled(one button push) verse competitive mode(2 button pushes). NOTE: I also added a POLL at the top of this thread that you can use to vote for which option you personally use most often when you have the need for more speed/power.

P.S. And there is still one other option I have not looked into yet, which is buying a Tuner to boost speed and performance.. however I'll save that for a seperate thread/discussion since those can be pricey and I'd like to investigate these current options that come with the vehicle first.

Last edited by mrosa; 09-22-2011 at 10:55 PM.
mrosa is offline   Reply With Quote