View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
As I stated before, we're dealing with a hobby that is manifested by chaos. There's variation and inconsistency in clear coat thickness, defect severity, polishing technique, washing technique, claying technique, clear coat softness/hardness, among dozens of other things among every single car and among every single enthusiast whether they're pro or not.

Honestly, detailing isn't rocket science, and save for all these borderline anal nuances (i.e. soap breaking down clay, washing the car with side to side strokes, or differences in 'depth' or 'warmth' amongst various waxes though TBH I can't tell a gah'damn difference between any of them), it's a pretty straightforward science once you get down the basics: two bucket wash, grit guards, soft microfibers, claybars, and don't overpolish a finish and remove unnecessary clearcoat. After that, it's finessing the technique. Any putz with enough of a drive can get out there and become a "detailer" if he has his ducks lined up. Look how "ooo'd and "aaaahhh'd" everyone on this board was when Adams first took its hold on the masses with their products and the PC. People were walking out in the heat of the sun (myself) and scored damn near professional results and were happy with their Camaros as pigs in mud.

As for the hostility here on the forum, IMO what works best for one person should be respected by others, since that's what works for them and that's what THEY like, which like chicagobulls said, is ALL that matters. However, when people make threads asking QUESTIONS, don't be surprised if you get answers, and also don't be surprised if they're answers you might not agree with as well as others. This is a forum afterall.

There are always going to be people who take any hobby more to heart than others, and those people are usually the ones with "egos", though for the most part a lot of those "egos" are well deserved because they usually belong to professionals. Me? I am no professional. I am a hobby detailer who just does a ton of research. I haven't even tried out much products because I don't see the point if I've already got a system that works. I'm just a guy with a black Camaro that likes it to look damn good, because I went through a TON of work to get it and I want to make sure it looks near new for its entire life.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote