View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #1827
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Very cool! The shift points, to me, and the clutch engaging/disengaging seems it would be the most violent stage on anything with boost. Now, next question, what happens to the spooled boost with 1200++ ponies when you do shift? Is there a dip? Or, at the hp level, would you even notice a dip??
There are a couple of ways to address this...
1. Deal with the dip in boost... As you lift to shift, the air flow through the motor diminishes, and consequently you loose boost... Not necessarily a bad thing as coming off the clutch at full power can blow the tires off... Loss of traction and it's inherent problems.... Bear in mind right now on my street tires, I can do a 110 mph burnout.... Now add 400-500 more hp... The dip in boost allows you time to set the tires with traction as you spool back up... Which with the size turbos I have, and 427 cubic inches is almost immediately...
2. Use a no lift shift box... If I understand it correctly is a hard rev limiter box that allows you to keep the throttle on the floor while shifting, and it cuts out whatever is necessary to prevent over revving the motor... Don't quote me on that as I'm still learning about it... I think some people call it a stutter box, and the only time I saw someone using one on these cars the motor cratered due to using it wrong....it's supposed to be used and started after the burnout, and this one was engaged for the burnout... mental error is all. I'm not bad mouthing the person it happened to, lord knows it could happen to me just ad easily...but with what we have in these motors, mental errors are very very costly...it's the nature of the beast....cubic dollars and green hp....not environmentally green either...
3. Learn to do partial lift shifts... Where instead of coming completely off the gas, you just lift enough to keep from over revving the motor while shifting... Probably the hardest to do consistently...

As B mentioned, the electronic controllers today are way faster than us... And for the hard headed folks like me that prefer a manual trans in my car, well... They are the way to faster times and more consistent runs...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote