Thread: Thermostat 160
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
ok i have to chime in so take it for what it is worth. I have always thought the same as Ted regarding stats. for the hell of it, I threw a 160 in my camaro on Monday.

before it, I had my fans tuned to come one, one at 192/off at 190 and the second on at 200 and off at 198. you cannot program the fans to come on lower than 190 without a custom operating system. my car would run about 192-196 and right now temps are 104 or so with 50-60% humidity.

with the 160 in, the hottest I have seen so far, even in 104 temps, is 189 unless I am sitting at a light or in traffic it gets to low 190s. it gets to 185-190 just as fast as before. probably because it is hot as balls outside.... what this means is that my fans no longer run all the time. the only time a fan turns on is when I am sitting for an extended period of time. I haven't needed the second fan yet at all.

now, come winter time, we will see if I freeze my nuts off and never regain feeling before I reach my destination or if it the heater works ok....will update at that time. however, it doesn't get outrageously cold here nor does it stay retarded cold for very long at a time, usually it will get back to the 60s or so before cooling off again.

the reason for this observation is because thermostats do not click open and click closed. they open and close gradually. the 160 just begins to open sooner and is open more at 190 than the stock thermostat. I thought it was interesting that my car heated right up and then just doesn't really get into the 190s even when it's very very hot outside.

ymmv.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote