View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Took my Camaro in this week for this and a couple of other issues.

The "whine" noise was confirmed by the shop foreman, but he stated that if I had not been on the test drive, he probably would not have "heard" that noise due to its high pitch/ringing nature. He was expecting it to be a "lower tone" noise.

A call was placed to GM technical assistance for any additional information. So far GM has not responded.

Putting a new ring/pinion gear set in may not solve this one since it could be the drive shaft taking a "small" noise and acting like an amplifier. My former Chevy SSR had a BIG problem with this as well and I had to get an aftermarket drive shaft to "quite it down".

I may need to put some sound dampening material in the rear of the passenger cabin to help quite this one down.

It's a noise that you "don't hear" unless the road noise is limited (smooth new pavement) and the stereo is not on or on beyond volume setting "8" or so.

CalTrans recently has paved a large section if I80 (west of Sacramento) so when I take a trip in the SF Bay Area over I80, I hear this noise a lot.