View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Most of this I agree with, but some I think is a bit over the top.

I no longer ask to be let off with a warning or reduced ticket, I usually know exactly why I am pulled over and figure I have gotten away with it enough times that the laws of average dictate I will get caught sooner or later. While I have been stopped numerous times in the last few years, including once for intentionally trying to "race" a state trooper that I THOUGHT was a buddy, I haven't had a ticket-knock knock- for years.

My rules, pull over as soon as I can in a safe area to not put myself or the officer in danger.

Shut car off and remove foot from brake and place hands in clear view on wheel. If at night, turn on interior light, and remain belted in.

Be polite, but do not admit anything unless officer states why he stopped you. If he asks, I usually answer that I was exceeding the speed limit if I was, or that I do not know if I truley do not. I once answered, "Following too close?" and was given a ticket for speeding..... and following too close. Lesson learned.

Once informed of the reason, I apoligize and only offer a reason if I really have one. I don't try to BS my way out, I can't think of anything he may not have already heard anyway.

When asked for documents I inform the officer where my license is, and where my registration/insurance are. I usually can retrieve license from pocket without causing alarm, but always inform the officer before I move for the glove box, and only move once I recieve verbal confirmation that he heard me tell him where it is. Once open I make sure and not block his view as I get the paperwork.

With a nicer car or modified car, some times officers will comment about the car. I once had an officer say "Nice seats" when he approached my Boss, I was pretty sure at that point I was going to be let go without a ticket and I was. In any conversation with the officer, I don't question him, I just answer as directly as I can without hemming and hawing. The more you try to evade his question, the more likely you are to be there even longer.

I have noticed that politeness and a good attitude go a long way in being let off with a warning or reduced ticket. I realize he doesn't like the amount of paperwork, and or personal time it takes to go to court for writing such an offense. If you are rude or try to argue your way out, he will just write you up and maybe add a few of those other violations you didn't even know existed. In some areas, the officers have to use days off for court appearances, and they would enjoy doing other things then be in court on thier day off as you.

Even when I follow all my own steps, there are still a few officers that will just write you up because they write evreyone they stop, no exceptions. I know of one that my ex-wife worked with that would, and did, write his own mother. They had another who would let the first person each night off with a warning, provided they were not being a you know what. And still another that would let off anyone who reminded him of a Simpsons character.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote