View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #58
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Hahah yeah we're seeing the same one. Sorry, wasn't too clear. I was commenting on how incredibly flat that torque curve is. Because of this, I think that GM's next V-8 that they develop should be a Direct Injected VVT DOHC motor so we can get awesome mileage, great power, and ridiculous torque curves like the one put up by the V-6.
GM's next generation of the LS series V8 will still be a pushrod design. The block and heads are already designed to be OHV, not OHC.

I think I'd rather it be OHV anyway. With a pushrod valvetrain, you get better low end torque and power. Most OHC V8's lack the low end grunt that a pushrod V8 has. Not only that, but GM's LS series is much more compact in dimensions than a comparable DOHC V8, just look how enormous Ford's DOHC Modulars are. And because of that, the LS series weighs less, has less rotating parts, and is easier to do valvetrain upgrades in. And one of the best parts about the LS engines is the fuel economy. The Corvette LS3 is rated at 16MPG city 26MPG highway - thats awesome for a 6.2L, 430HP V8, and most competitors can't match that, even with smaller V6 engines. Hell, look at the new Lancer Evolution - with a gutless 2.0L DOHC 4 banger, it only matches the Corvette in city driving, and it gets a pathetic 22MPG highway.

However, I do agree about adding DI. It would improve both fuel economy numbers as well as horsepower and driveability, there are no downsides. They would just need to redesign the cylinder heads to accommodate the injectors.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote