View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #56
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Also, these part of the LSA information article stuck out:

"The LS9s pistons are made of forged aluminum. The key difference in material choice here, is the desire for refinement in the Cadillac application."

"The cam design also reduces operating noise compared to the naturally aspirated 6.2L Corvette LS-3 V-8 by one decibel. While the change might not seem significant by itself, it combines with similar incremental improvements through the LSA that reduce interior noise in the 2009 CTS-V substantially compared its predecessor"

"The camshaft operates the engine's valves, and its design is crucial to both power and smoothness. The torque enhancing benefits of the supercharger allowed GM engineers to develop a "softer," lower-lift camshaft for the LSA, compared to the typical high-rev, high-power super-sedan engine. The LSA cam delivers maximum lift of 12.2 mm for both the intake and exhaust valves. Moreover, the cam lobes are profiled to reduce the amount of time that both intake and exhaust valves are partially open at the same time. Valve overlap is reduced compared the previous, LS2-powered CTS-V, despite the substantial increase in output. The result is smoother operation at low speeds, and particularly at idle."

With these statement, (maybe Im nit-picking) the LSA seems more geared and refined for the Caddy application. With a car like the Z28, I would think the designers would want the things they tried to omit with their design detail with the LSA. Words like a SOFT, SMOOTHER, QUIETER.....isnt what we are thinking when we want to sit idle with a SS with GMPP exhaust next to us.

Im still thinking that an engine made between the LSA and LS9 is in order. GM knows these car will be ran harder on the average than a Caddy. Plus i would hate to think that they would let there own "GMPP" miss out on warrantied upgrades to contend with FRPP upgrades on a GT500. I have faith that GM is smart to do this. They have been so far with the details.

If they push out L99s JUST for automatic Camaros to avoid gas guzzler tax, I believe they would at least expect and prepare for the stress and expectations that the Camaro's breed of customer will put on a Z28.

Making a "LS8" or "mongoose" with forged material (not titanium) and having its power output between 556hp and 600hp would be a good benchmark and insurance against a crippling load of warranty claim. Do it right the first time. At least put it on par with the strength of the GT500's 5.4L and boost its power output a little above to add to the snake's insult.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign

Last edited by Jinx; 09-27-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote