Thread: Pads
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
This noise is only when applying the breaks at low speeds. If I attempt a hard stop from 40mph+ there is no noise.

Just normal stop light to stop light and down shopping center parking complexes (where the echo is miserable) do you get this brake noise.
That happens with some types of pads. My point was, IF it starts making noise when NOT on the brakes you KNOW you have a problem and most likely worn out pads.

I would take the car to a no-traffic road where you can do some hard stops without anyone behind you. Go about 50mph and use hard pressure to slow the car to around 20mph. Let off and repeat 2 more times without completely stopping and drive around for 10-15 mins to allow them to cool. This will break the glaze on the pad/rotor surfaces. Though the squeak is most likely to return depending on braking habits and if the pads got overheated early on in life...

In case you decide to change the pads cuz you can't get rid of the noise for good. I highly recommend the Hawk Ceramics. VERY low dust and very quiet...