View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
So I plan on getting my Camaro in black and then adding matte black stripes to it like the SPecial Edition 500KR. So I was google'ing info on vynyl stripe kits just to get an idea of how much they cost because paint is an arm/leg and came across this article about painting your own stripes:

...your other option is actual paint. As long as you know how to mask off areas and work a spray paint can you are more than qualified to put basic racing stripes on your ride. You can even customize the color of certain exterior parts this way. For example, if you wanted to paint your rocker panel silver and your truck is red. I don't advise getting too wild - don't drink a pint of whiskey then attempt to paint a dragon on your mustang, but if you want basic color change options, this is easy and dirt cheap. Simply select the spray paint in the color you'd like. Make sure you're purchasing auto body paint, not generic spray paint. The generic stuff will work, but the auto body ones are designed for more weather conditions. You may also want to get a primer and some fine sandpaper.
Mask of the areas which you do not want to paint. I highly suggest literally masking everything with tarps because over spray can ruin your month. Be sure that your tape lines are precise. Prep your vehicle as directed on the primer can then spray your new color. I suggest spraying several light layers to avoid drippage. Oh, and here's a tip - don't paint under a tree or near anything that can blow stuff into your wet paint. If a leaf falls into your paint your going to have a hell of a time trying to make it look smooth.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ms.html?page=2

Does anybody know if this is a truly feasible option or done it themselves? I'd hate to ruin my paint job if I made a mistake, but honestly I think I can capably do this, especially being that I wouldn't be appying a glossy color. Any thoughts?
No way!!! You know, I've heard about rednecks, and I might have a little bit of that in me but damn dude........ your loaded with it!!!
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote