View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
6DEAN9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Thumbs up REVISED: Santa Barbara Cruise update 6/12

When: June 12, 2010
Departure time: 8:30 AM
Start Location: Norm’s Restaruant: 1601 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica, 90404
End Location: Los Olivos Grocery: 2621 Hwy 154, Santa Ynez, 93460 http://losolivosgrocery.com/

Estimated Miles: 118
Estimated Time: 2 hours per mapquest

What to bring: full tank of gas, communication radios & chairs
Notes: Due to the weekend events, room availability is limited in the region. If you plan on staying, I would book ASAP. We chose to stay at the Ventura Beach Marriott, 2055 East Harbor Blvd.,Ventura, California 93001. Phone: 805-643-6000. I hope that some of you will join us at the Marriott.

We will be meeting in the back of Norm’s restaurant, on the corner of Lincoln Blvd & Colorado in Santa Monica. We are leaving at 8:30 sharp and heading down the famous California Incline to Hwy. 1 to begin our journey.

Once we get to Oxnard/Ventura, Hwy 1 turns into Hwy 101. Just pass the edge of Ventura we will take Hwy 1 (Old Rincon Hwy) again. The turn off is just north of Hwy 33. Continue on Hwy 1 (Old Rincon) for about 6 ½ miles. If the weather cooperates and space is available, we hope to stop at a vista to get a picture with the ocean in the background.

Once in Santa Barbara, we will take Hwy 154 North for about 28 miles. Here is where we have 2 different routes we can take. Option1: We can continue on 154 and drive over The Cold Spring Canyon Arch Bridge, which is the fifth largest spanned arch bridge. Option 2: Take the Stage Coach Turnoff, which will lead us under the bridge, which is a more scenic route, and will lead to the Cold Creek Tavern. The tavern was established in the 1860 as a rest stop for the stagecoaches heading to Santa Barbara. We are in favor of option 2, but we will play that part by ear.

Within a few minutes of leaving the arch bridge we will arrive at Los Olivos Grocery, where we will set up chairs, relax, and have lunch. They have a huge parking lot and great food, sandwiches, tri tip, and they even have wine & cheese.

From this point on, every one is on their own. My wife and I will be going wine tasting about 7 miles up the road (of course I am the DD). Some of the wineries in the area are Firestone, Fess Parker, Koehler, and Curtis.