View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Be happy to sir!
I started susp. upgrades with just a Pfadt Balance swaybar on the back (sorry Pete).
I was shocked at the improvement and looked for the next best upgrade for me. The Pedders book made sense and with Australia's greater development time with the Zeta platform I figured they knew what they were talking about.

I'm not an autocrosser so I went with Pedders rear subframe bush inserts and radius arm inserts- Wow, another big improvement. The rear felt firmer but finally I could "goose" it going around a corner and not feel like I was going to have to correct for a slide as the rear end stepped out- it just went. And the steering sharpened too- first time I "flicked" the wheel to check it out, I damn near drove off the road!

It's hard to stop as you enjoy your car more and more- you can drive more quickly without drawing attention if your car's not all "out of shape ".

Next I was thinking drop springs, but the V6 has had so many strut changes many maker's don't offer them for the car. The common solution is to change to SS struts/shocks and then drop. I guess it was just timing, but several C5 members were having trouble with noise issues and some others voiced harsh ride complaints with their new springs.

So I decided to try SS springs with my new struts. I new they had a higher spring rate than the V6's and thought they might offer the best compromise for me. They did.

Handling is bliss for me now- just firm enuff without getting intrusive. Enough ground clearance that I don't have get tense every time I go up a driveway. The car seems to exceed the sum of its parts. Totally controlled without drama even when my pucker factor is off the charts!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote