View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Ride Height vs Weight Balance + Handling

I recently had my car professionally corner balanced. The shop ended up having to raise the car's rear height to get close to a 50/50 front/rear balance.

This brings to mind my past experiences (cue dream sequence music).

Stock Car.
I had one auto-x event in which my (very accomplished) friend/co-driver and I beat on the car with stock suspension and tires. Although the weak point was the lack of tire traction, we were both amazed at how well the Camaro was balanced. It did not over or under steer to extremes and the rear end was very easy to handle.

Full suspension - take one.
After the full suspension and R888s were installed, I had the ride height set so that there was very little rake to the car (less than 1/4"). Although the car looked awesome, the handling wasn't even close to the stock car. The first auto-x event was not good because of excessive understeer. I did notice that the car launched very well. In hind-sight, I think that having the car near level likely shifted the weight onto the rear tires.

Full suspension - take two.
I discussed the situation over with my friend and we agreed that we should put the car back to stock rake. I raised the rear end a bit to get more rake (but to stock rake). Back on the track, we noticed an improvement right away, but understeer was still our enemy. The rear end felt more lively.

Full suspension + corner balance.
I've got (2) back-to-back events this weekend and we shall see how the corner balance has affected the handling. I'm optimistic that the car will get back to feeling how it did bone stock.

Has anyone else running coilovers played with their height front-to-rear and noticed what differences there are?

I think that maybe the straight-line guys might consider leveling their car to maximize traction, while us auto-x guys need to have the car raked for handling?
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote