View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #217
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
When was a Z28 made lighter than other Camaros?

It did not have a BB in it otherwise it could be ordered with everything, but an auto, vert. and air. The new 427 LS7 is a high revving SB just like the 302 was. Yes the Camaro is bigger for the 5Gen, but that doesn't keep it from being a Z28. Take a look at what Pedders has done with this chassis. The 5Gen has a very rigid chassis which is exactly what you need for a brilliant handling car.
I didn't post that it was, actually. However.

I said the Z/28 should be lighter than an SS. We're not going to be able to expect Chevy to take a 283 and a 327 and mash them together this time. The original Camaro SS had a 350 as the smallest engine available, and later that year offered a 396. In the 21st Century, I doubt we can ever expect such a broad range of V8 engine choices ever again on one model car. The other way to increase power:weight is by removing pounds

The Z/28 was meant for racing in the Trans Am series, and you would agree that lighter cars would have an advantage in power to weight, I would bet Also makes them potentially more nimble

And originally, the Z/28 could not be had "with everything". You could not get air conditioning or an auto trans on the first Z/28s as you mention.

Certainly you can see how a car with a 302 CID engine, no air conditioning, and no auto trans at least had the potential to be lighter than a car with an auto trans, 350 CID mill, and a/c. Even the wheels were DZ specific on the original Z/28s