View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I think you'll be better off living outside thre city and commuting in -- you get the best of both worlds that way - you can visit the city whenever you want and you don't have to deal with living right in the middle of it.
And I hate public transport but I don't think the trains around here are bad at all..
I definitely agree here. I like being close to things, but I really don't want to live inside the city. I'd rather have a comfortable, affordable house than a loft or something downtown. And I'm sure paying for parking down by M.I.T. is outrageous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
My sisters live in Newton (right near BC), and my brother in law works in cambridge. He got one of those T passes and I think it only takes him an hour to get to work by the T. Most of that he does reading etc, but if you were to drive it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Newton is a pretty nice place to live, good school system. Little on the expensive side but most of Boston is.
What is the T Pass? Is that like unlimited rides for XX dollars a month? How is the security on those trains? Is crime a big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Depends on how much $$ your willing to spend for convenience. I personally hate the city life -atleast living in it.You can easilly spend $3-$5k a month in there.Out side spot's are $1.5-$3k. I live 35 minutes from the city. Drive there everyday but come home to a relaxing are where you can't see your neighbors.
Ya, definitely not spending 3-5K a month in rent. Out of the question. I spend $1400 a month now for a 2 bed, 1 bath, with a garage. I'm looking at $1500-$2500 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfan26 View Post
I think, no matter where you move. If you stay inside the Rte 128/95 belt, getting into town will be "easy" (tolerable). The "T" is effective. Inside the Rte 495 belt, you get more room, bang for the buck in rent, and still have access to the "T", although it's a longer ride. Traffic getting into Boston in the morning is pretty good from 5am thru 6am, then it builds pretty quickly. Getting out (by car), as we say "fuggetaboutit"...it's tuff. The "T" is the only way to go. Oh by the way the "T" is public transportation. To add to your thoughts. If you look at...say, Hingham/Quincy or Salem, you can ride the Ferries into Boston. It's fast, you're on the water, it's pretty fun and the views are awesome.
This sounds like a viable option. Since my wife is the one who will be commuting, I won't really have to worry about it. I just want to ensure that if she chooses to use the "T" pass that it will be safe and reliable.

How long are the ferry rides?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote