View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #585
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
2jz engine does not have the high compression ratio the LLT does. The Toyota motor also has an iron block while the LLT is aluminum block and heads. The iron block simply = more hp, boost, and compression it can handle relative to an aluminum block. Finally and most obv fact is 2JZ motor was designed WITH turbos. Toyota engineers developed the motor around being a boosted motor. Its always harder understanding limitations of a N/A motor that has been converted to Forced Induction.

Can we compile a list of people who have since gone FI on the v6's to date? Maybe not on this thread as Z has worked really hard on this and this thread should be devoted to his work. I think having that info in a new thread can help to track progress of each turbo project (and eventually we can compare notes on HP,TQ, 1/4 mil times, etc.

Last, I would like to know if anyone has contacts with companies serving imports (i.e. HKS, Greddy, AMS, APR,vinshu ect). My point is that while this motor is tricky by design, its still a motor that burns gasoline to make power. By tradition import cars have had similar limitations in the past and companies have overcome those limitations. While the v8's have had overwhelming success relative to our v6 is due to the motor being basically similar to something already on the market, but also because aftermarket companies serving up the parts specialize in that kind of motor. Not to discredit anything done by STS, but traditionally they work more on v8's rather than smaller displacement I4-v6 motors with high compression. The motors in our cars definitely fall more in line with stuff the import crowd is used to and I feel having a fresh set of eyes on this issue could help spot and correct limitations we are running into. I really think this is something we should try to explore and any distributors viewing these posts may have a good contact with some companies. That would cool!
I'll start a thread called "LLT FI List." We are getting enough with turbos and NO2 to make it easier to compare and share information. If we get enough info maybe a mod could make it a sticky? Added benefit is Z gets his thread back!