View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
My statements come from hours and hours and hours on a dyno with a pyrometer checking the temperature of every pipe on the turbo kit to see why it won't make power on the first 3 pulls. When I refer to heat on the turbo, that is the only way I have of checking it is with the pyrometer and when the turbo gets close to 350-450 degrees is when the car makes the most power. Now with that being said, it takes around 4 to 5 pulls on the dyno to get it to that temperature and then the engine is heatsoaked. I have tuned hundreds and hundreds of turbo and single turbo cars and the STS kits always put down less power with the same size turbo on the same car due to the fact that it takes 4 or 5 pulls to get it to temperature. On most turbo cars that I tune in Florida I would never do 4 or 5 back to back pulls in fear of damaging the engine.

I understand completely what you are saying though with the heat, I just didn't have a way of measuring velocity on every STS kit that came in but could easy associate it with the heat on the exhaust housing for a reference.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote