View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #79
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I have an L99 with a CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT catted (and coated) headers, a Borla Touring exhaust, and a dynotune. I was a bit disappointed with the results on the dyno of 362 rwhp with these mods. The car is faster than stock (and sounds WAY better), but I want more. I thought the headers would give me more with the tune.

So, I'm looking at getting either a Maggie or a turbocharger. I am a bit leary of adding a cam because I've heard they are very tricky on an automatic.

I don't plan to race my car - except for perhaps a fun day at the track, but no serious racing. But, I do want the best and baddest street machine I can get. It is very important to me that my car be absolutely reliable and drivable on the street, but I want my car to be very quick. I really love driving my Camaro and I don't want to do anything to ruin that. - some folks have commented that a cam can sometimes harm drivability.

After reading this thread, it sounds like the Maggie is more what I' should be considering, but others have mentioned that a turbocharger might be better. I'm just doing my homework before I jump in.

Is it reasonable that I could get 500 rwhp by adding a Maggie to my L99?

The other advantage of a Maggie is I think they just look great. - I know, that's shallow, but a lot of the mods on my car have been cosmetic. I am looking into buying a hood with a plexiglass window on it to show off the engine. A chrome Maggie would look sweet!

Any comments as to what you folks would recommend for my car would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Considering LS3s are getting right near 500 RWHP on an otherwise totally stock car, with the OEM airbox too, I think you'd get there pretty easily, or dang near close, with a conservative tune. LS3 cars, with your similar mods', are averaging (from what I've noticed) from 510-530+ RWHP; add a CAI and you'll probably get past 500 to the tire pretty easily with a custom tune; I don't believe the canned Maggy tune accounts for full exhaust, like you have, and a CAI. I'm pretty sure you'd get to 500 pretty easily at about 6-7 psi.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote