View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #50
jputer

Drives: 2016 1LT Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'M ABOUT TO PULL MY F@#KING HAIR OUT!!!!!

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing wrong. I can not get this engine cover painted without it cracking!

I'm using the Rustoleum Plastic paint as suggested. The first time I sprayed it came out almost perfect. There were a couple minor spects/dirt in it. So my friend talked me into lightly sanding and re-spraying. I sanded a couple pieces out and let it sit overnight. In the morning I re-sprayed and it did this cracking you see in a couple spots. So, I sanded out most of the cracking and let is sit over night again. Spayed it the next afternoon when it was about 65 outside. I got some cracking again. Re-sanded....waited overnight....resprayed. This time it didn't crack. Waited several hours or so and sprayed some clear over it. On one side it immediately cracked. Other side is fine. I re-sand (can't get all the cracking out but got most of it)....re-spray....all is good. I let it sit overnight and then this morning I let it sit out in the sun for a good 3+ hrs. Bring it in let it cool down for about 30 mins. Re-spray the clear and it freakin starts immediately cracking. I'm done now....I've lost the battle. Have no idea what to do. Guess I should take it to a professional paint shop????? That's going to cost me about $100 just to get it painted. Then I have another $50 worth of vinyl to put on.

BTW: I've been wiping it down with the stuff I use to clean my granite. It's a mix of 70% water, 30% alcohol, and a couple drops of dish soap. I wouldn't think this would cause the problem but maybe it is???

Anyone have any suggestions????

Use some full strength white vinegar to get all of the silicone and wax off of the plastic first.

Make sure your are using a compatible clear. Sounds like you may be putting clear lacquer over enamel paint.

Last edited by jputer; 03-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote