View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The fact of the matter is that in the year 2014 the vast and overwhelming majority of drivers in the USA have proven, day in, day out, 24 hours a day 12 months a year, that they are incapable of operating a motor vehicle at any speed, let alone 55 mph or higher. the skill level is abysmal, and the common sense is absent.

There's so little urge to improve the situation. Cars that mask bad steering and braking and throttle inputs to save the driver from himself. Cars that make drivers used to relying on sensors and cameras so they don't hit other cars at low speed. Cars that do not give a feeling of traveling too fast for conditions. Drivers' ed classes that are aimed at getting kids to pass a test instead of being good drivers. The lack of mandatory drivers' ed in the first place. Roads that look like they belong in the Road Warrior.

Back in the day, former F1 drivers like Dan Gurney competed in the Cannonball, getting caught breaking the speed limit by incredible margins, such as Gurney's ticket for 110mph in a Ferrari Daytona- Gurney had been going closer to 140, what the hell, he was one of the best drivers on the planet. The cop just...wrote him the ticket.

Today? Better believe it's jail.

The roads in the USA are, in the main, designed for cars from 50 years ago. if people in the USA gave a tinker's damn about being able to drive, I'd be all for select areas to have higher speed limits, such as highways. the way it is now, I want those people who can't drive hitting me at something less than light speed, becasue I'd like to survive my trip to work.